St. John’s offers a collaborative working environment in one of Canada’s most historic churches. Current Employment Opportunities are listed below.
Parish Office Manager
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, a worshipping, loving, and welcoming community joyfully sharing God’s gifts since 1864, is seeking a parish office manager to serve the ministerial, financial, and administrative aspects of the congregation. This position is part-time (15 hours per week) and is timed to fall within the regular operating office hours of the church (normally Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM Atlantic, subject to change).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in preparing liturgies: typing and organizing materials for regular weekly services, including assistance with church volunteers for service set-up, as well as special events in coordination with the parish pastor.
- Assists with wedding, baptismal, and funeral preparation: working with the pastor, families, and parishioners to prepare all aspects of the events and receptions as required.
- Manages sacramental records and works to develop an electronic version of the printed records already in place.
- Welcomes and supports parishioners and others involved in the church congregation, providing a positive first impression to everyone in all aspects of communication.
- Handles all accounting duties: payroll and tax reporting, bill paying, proper receipting for donations received by the church, general financial reporting, and record keeping.
- Prepares for monthly Church Council meetings: provides monthly bank account reconciliation, income and expense statements, and advises of any deviations from the budgeted norm
- Works in coordination with the Endowment Committee and Church Auditors to provide a full, accurate, and current account of the financial status of the parish.
- Manages and supports all church staff and volunteers to successfully complete all required tasks, providing information and clerical support as needed.
- Works to accomplish office tasks: handling mail, phone calls and other parish communications, overseeing parish calendar and scheduling building usage, ordering office and sacramental supplies, producing all reports required of the office, maintaining church records.
- Develops and distributes the monthly newsletter, weekly faith readings, and other pertinent information necessary for the congregation.
- Manages and develops all aspects of parish electronic social media presence, including but not limited to the church website, Instagram, and Facebook account.
- Works to ensure communication of all pertinent church events are made known through local media, including but not limited to print, radio, television, and electronic media.
- Oversees and coordinates the rental and use of the church facilities for special events, tours, and develops the historical tourism aspect of the church property.
- Serves as liaison with the secretary of the church congregational council for proper distribution of information to appropriate recipients.
- Demonstrates willingness to work on tasks which may be unexpected and not necessarily related to specified duties.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Prior accounting experience or education with working knowledge of accounting systems, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, and Canada Revenue Agency guidelines for non-profit entities.
- Office/administrative experience with working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of programs including Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated high-level writing and communication skills.
- Knowledge and usage of the PowerChurch software operating system is preferred.
The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic, friendly, and approachable individual who enjoys working and coordinating with others from within the congregation, other local church parishes, and the local community as a whole. If interested, please send resume and cover letter electronically to Pastor Adam Snook by emailing:
Applications will be accepted beginning February 26, 2018 and the position will remain open until a successful candidate is hired.
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, 89 Edgewater Street, Mahone Bay, NS B0J 2E0.